Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Which is more important: tire size or type?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by filet0fish, May 24, 2009.

1. filet0fish

filet0fish New Member

May 23, 2009
    Code Monkey
    Frederick, MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Which is more important: tire size or type/quality?

I'm looking for new tires to go with the new wheels I'm planning on buying (16" Enkei T-Fork). I want to stick with 16s since I am very happy with the performance/comfort/fuel economy balance I currently get with the stock conti's. However, I don't feel like spending the $$ on another set of runflats+TPMS or the $ to transfer over the half used tires. I'd also like to stick with All Season since we get some crazy swings in weather here in Maryland.

It looks like the best tire available in the stock 195/55 size is the Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid (H rated High Performance All-Season). Based on the scores on tirerack, it looks to have similar performance to the stock contis.

The best tire I've found in 205/55 is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance All-Season). The 17" version of this tire got a lot of good reviews on NAM and it gets better scores in just about everything on tirerack. However, it is a wider tire with a bigger sidewall, so that should hurt the cornering abilities and millage, but improve comfort. Cornering is most important to me and comfort least important, so I'm a little worried about this change.

So which would be the better cornering tire? Is there a magical tire that comes in every size and does everything well that I haven't found yet? Anything else I should know?

2. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    205-50 would be a better size than those. I don't know much about all seasons so I'm no help there.

3. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The extra 10mm of width will benefit your cornering WAY more than the extra 5.5mm of sidewall will hurt it, IMHO.

But, yes, going to 205/50 is even better...

4. filet0fish

filet0fish New Member

May 23, 2009
    Code Monkey
    Frederick, MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My concern with 205/50 is that the speedometer error would be in the opposite direction as the 205/55. The 55's error (-1.75%) should offset the built in error (3%, right?). The 50 would be +1.5, so I'd be off by almost 5%. Although, I think that padding has saved me from a ticket or two :aureola:

215/50 would keep the same diameter, sidewall and speedometer, but there are even fewer options in that size.

That makes sense. I gotta make sure I can keep up on the Blue Ridge Parkway tour and safely make it down the dragon to the start in Cherokee.

5. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    At relaxed highway cruising I see 77-78 on my speedometer and my GPS reads 75-76. You get used to it. There are so many more options available in a 205/50. Plus IMHO it looks better and gives you that much more bear repellent.

6. filet0fish

filet0fish New Member

May 23, 2009
    Code Monkey
    Frederick, MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. Am I getting my speedometer offsets backwards? Right now I see around 78/79 when I'm going 75 with stock everything.

Do you have any suggestions in 205/50? It looks like mostly summer tires in that size, which I'm not totally against, but i would prefer all season.

7. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I had my speedometer calibrated in defense of a speeding ticket back when my 06 was six months old. On stock wheels and tires, the speedo was 6mph off. I've heard that German cars tend to be a couple mph conservative, so I wouldn't worry too much about the accuracy of the speedometer.

Plus, depending on local laws and precedents, you can dodge a speeding ticket if your speedo's off! :D

8. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Look at Yokohama S-4s. I've seen them and they are good. My next set will be 215/45 and my "03 "S" runs about 56mph when reading 60. :cool:. This way I know I'm not speeding :D. Just check your speedo against someone with a GPS and let it be:cornut:.
    Mark