Why I do not own a Ferrari (other than the cost)

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by rigidjunkie, Feb 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Great rant from one of the writers for Evo out of jolly old England. I had heard rumors of Ferrari giving press modified cars, but to send two cars to a test is just unacceptable. I hope the new McLaren kicks the 458's ass all over this planet!!

Jalopnik: Obsessed With The Cult Of Cars

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd still buy one, that is once M/A has 1,000,000 members and is printing money.

3. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Will that be next Thursday or the week after :rolleyes:

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I owned one (a Dino, not a 458 Italia), it's a most sublime experience driving one of those.....you just can't really understand till you've been behind the wheel. Kinda like a MINI S in that way....

Most beautiful car I've owned, even prettier than my E-Type....

[​IMG]

5. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Don't care what that Guy says; if I ever win the lottery I won't even go home, I'll head straight for the nearest Ferrari dealership!!! ;)

6. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    That is a pretty Dino. The problem with saying you would go straight to the Ferrari dealer is you would walk away with a used 360 at this point. I did a little research on buying a new Ferrari, it is next to impossible to buy one, no matter how much money you walk into the dealer with. They make you prove you are worthy by buying a used one. Well I guess you could buy a Maserrati California :)

I would never argue with their business plan, but if it was my money I would get either a Porsche or a Lambo before a Ferrari.

Nathan I can start registering some additional "members" if you will let me borrow the Ferrari for a weekend :)

7. bjl

bjl New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think you're just mad because people keep describing your Subi as "Ferrari Red" :)

8. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I am just concerned that when the salt comes off the Subi there will be lots of swirles in the paint. Pepper white was awesome at hiding imperfections, after looking at some pictures of other red Subis I think I might have to have a random orbital day this spring.

9. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Thought he was talking F1... But no, it was street cars!

I love the cars, but the moron factor running the place could definitely be toned down a notch or two.

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    My local dealer has a decent selection of California's. 599's and 430's on hand, all used. New ones are all on a wait list unless you are deemed worthy by the Factory to get a new one quickly. That usually means you have bought a few already and held on to them or are James Glickenhaus.

You can always find a few of the latest models in the DuPont Registry for sale, they often are very low mileage cars and are offered for 10's of 1000's over MSRP.

As to registrations of new "members" I'd much prefer it was organic and and an honest total, but thanks for the offer. Tell ya what though, once we get to the point to the point where the income from the site can buy me new Ferrari for cash, you can borrow it for a weekend.

11. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    This ranks up there with living on a golf course... I am just not that stuffy.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    Oh no that is arrest me red. :D

Fee free to borrow my kit Allen. I'll watch.... :beer

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,652 / 2 / -0
    For me it is 250 GTO or nothing. Yes make mine red.

14. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    That cream colored Italia that showed up at Cars and Coffee a weekend or two ago was most delicious. I also saw a black one (as it passed me on the straight at Heartland Park last october!) and it was pretty scrumptious too!

[​IMG]

15. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Ridiculously jealous. :eek6::eek6:

If I won the lottery, I'd be bypassing the dealerships and on a search for one of the older supercars like that beautiful Dino. I love the finesse they had back then.

16. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Dino a "supercar"?? Hardly. At the time, it was intended as a bargain model and Ferrari considered making "Dino" the brand name so as to distinguish it from proper Ferrari's. Only through the lense of history do we see it as desirable.

17. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Here is something you don't see everyday: My favorite Ferrari in my favorite car's rear view.

[​IMG]

We just left our local monthly Caffeine & Octane show...

Yes, I passed him. On a curve. And he was feisty, although the beautiful beast was smoking a bit. His wife bought him that for Christmas.

Yes, I asked if they wanted an adoptive son...

And yes, it was truly a pain in the arse to take that picture while driving, shifting and trying to make sure I didn't maim myself or others, but I am apparently able to do so, although I do not wish to attempt it again... :Thumbsup:

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Great shot....
    And no jiggly wiggly.....
    Mine would have been exactly the same...... Except, smeared and I would have followed it with a helping of curb rash by hitting both curbs on both sides of the street.....

So yeah..... exactly the same shot. :D

19. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    A few reasons not to own a Ferrari (or other supercar). A Top Gear classic.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFbG-4VWqpA"]YouTube - Supercars do France part 3 - Top Gear - BBC Autos[/ame]

20. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Those used/new cars that go up for sale right away are the black ball of Ferrari. They have detailed records on every car they have ever built with owner names and other informatino from service.

Unrelated to their management their current lineup is one of the ugliest groups of cars I can think of. The 458 is just weird looking in person, the California's rear end is just horid. The 599 is the best looking of the bunch, but its competitor from Aston Martin looks about 1,000 times better. Then there is the 612 which to me is just devoid of anything special it is a big GT. Now the 612 replacement looks awesome, a Ferrari shooting brake is just awesome no matter what.