1st Gen R53 Cooper S Why is everyone's Minis Broke or breaking?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by 2hondafreaks, Aug 3, 2011.

1. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Oooo! And it's the best color too!:Thumbsup:

Dave

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    No it isn't. He said it was red. :D

Jim

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Congrats on your new to you MINI...

4. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Enjoy.

5. 2hondafreaks

2hondafreaks New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's got 18k miles on it. Do I need to panic and get a catch can on it asap?

6. VioletDC

VioletDC Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Copyeditor
    Leesburg, VA
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    My '06 MCS hasn't had any issues, either, and she's ~70+k miles now. I've had all the required maintenance done, changed from runflats to all-season tires, went from 16" to 17" wheels, and added a coupla other gadgets/mods and she runs like a top. I had Hondas back in the day, as well (3 to be exact), but they're definitely no comparison to a MINI!

7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    My 05 has 70K on it and I have modded the hell out of it.
    Whatever MINI you do get, I hope you dont get bit by the Mod Bug.
    If you must mod (and you will) read and research alot and always remember you get what you pay for. $700 coilover are not just as good and 2k or 3k coilovers....ect

When those High HP mods breakdown remember you have to "pay to play".

8. minidux

minidux New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A 05 Cooper S 88k miles and I am the third owner and enjoying the heck out of it.

9. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    why is everyone's MINI Broke or breaking

My 2003 MINI Cooper S has almost 101000 on the clock and is running fine, that said it has enough miles that it's needing some attention to normal wear and tear items like motor mounts and routine maintenance. It is the most fun car that I have owned and I have owned some realy fast cars but none could do so many things so well and keep a silly grin on my face.:Thumbsup:

10. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    My '05 blew up 2 years ago, and is still sitting in the garage engineless! Its all my fault though, well with the help of Bytetronik.

Eventually it will be rebuilt, badder than ever. Without using crap parts, that are supposed to be "the next big thing"

11. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I have had ByteTroniK since the beginning, no problems at all :Thumbsup: People just need to know when to stop messin with stuff when they shouldn't be messin with stuff.....:cool:

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Oh no, here we go again, it's like a broken record. It's evil, it's good, blah blah blah, lol.

Can't we just agree that opinions are like *******s..... Everyone has one....

13. 1momini

1momini New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    mechanical contractor
    Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I found this site when I bought a used mini with 190k miles on it. Runs like a champ. Went to change the oil and drain plug came out with pan threads. All the other stuff I am doing to it. Is preventative. I have only drove it 3 times but it was the most fun I have had in a car since I met my wife.

14. Nelzie

Nelzie New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    My MINI ran perfectly today with no problems. :postcount

15. solli

solli New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    photography
    New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I love my 2010 Cooper S but it started misbehaving around 13k miles when the tensioner loosened up and leaked. Car was under warranty so the dealer replaced the timing chain and components.

Car @ 20K miles and I heard rattling, knocking and a clunking noise, very constant and hard to pinpoint as the noise seemed to be coming from front, center and rear.

Still under warranty so dealer replaced the front right strut. Heard the noise again so I brought the car back and dealer replaced the right inner tie rod, the rear sway bar bushings and right rear strut. Drove away and heard the noise. Dealer replaced both front stabilizer links.

Noise was present so they called in a rep who took the car for a drive. He recommended that the dealer replace the sway bar bushings. I've been to the dealer six or more times for these issues. I've got 20k on my car. Also have the heavy deposits of carbon on the pipes but was told this is "normal." :frown2:

16. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You are going to see more post about people with issues because people are more likely to take the time to post for free help when they need it than post to brag about their car non stop daily like me. Think about it, there is far more motive to posting about an issue than anything else especially if it is your daily driver and you are puzzled, on a budget and want to try and fix it yourself.

17. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Solli-FWIW sooty tail pipes are the norm for any car that uses unleaded fuel. In the old days a nice light grey pipe told you you were running fine, that grey was from the lead.

Hope the dealer gets your MINI squared away for you.

18. solli

solli New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    photography
    New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I sent corporate a NJ Lemon Law letter as a formality two days ago. I plan to keep watch on further developments 'specially after finding the class action lawsuit thread here on the forum.

19. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I think what you should do is sell your car now and buy a Honda or something, you're going to spend the rest of your days looking for something to fail, instead of enjoying your car.

Because your car only had one small problem, a tensioner that backed out - which wasn't a part failure at all, it was an assembly failure - they didn't torque it properly at the factory (which wasn't even a BMW or MINI facility), and then it took 6 trips for your dealer to figure out that your sway bar bushings were not up to spec - again, hardly a catastrophic car failure tho, was it?

But now you have developed a mind set, and you will not be able to really have fun with your car becasue you're convinced it's a bad car - even tho it isn't.

I still want to know what people expect from this lawsuit..... free money? a new car? warranty for ever? new engines?

Whatever it is I'd advise you not hold your breath, at best it will be a voucher for money off on a new one, a discount you could probably get anyway.

20. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Attorney..... A crap pile of money....

Litigant...... A crap pile of money....

Wife of litigant.... A crap pile of money....

Mother of litigant..... A crap pile of money....

Father of litigant..... A crap pile of money....

Friends of litigant.... A crap pile of money....

Teacher of litigant..... A crap pile of money....

Mailman of litigant...... A crap pile of money....

Gardner of litigant...... A crap pile of money....

Bartender of litigant..... A crap pile of money....

The possibilities are truly endless.... But it's always.... A crap pile of money....