Why no media coverage for the man on the right?

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by rum4, Dec 4, 2013.

1. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

2. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Amazing as it is, there's no surprise here...

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I know, no surprises, as I am a Retired Soldier but I think it goes to show how little respect the 1% receive from the media and our government.

4. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    wow, that post really does say a lot about what's considered newsworthy.

I have seen Band of Brothers countless times, own it on DVD and Blu-Ray, and I was crushed when Major Richard Winters died in PA a few years back. The actor's portrayals of the real men made them familiar to me.

Babe saw it all and lived to tell about it.

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    While I agree the one on the right SHOULD get mentioned...
    The simple fact he is not is due to a few factors....
    Let's face it...a "famous" individual that dies at a young age, unexpectedly is more UNEXPECTED than a 80+ year old vet, who has lived a full life before dying....might not be politically correct to point that out, but in both cases folks might be interested, BUT THE DEATH of person in the "prime" of their life tends to resonate more with folk on an emotional level... The though of "what could have been"....going on the assumption he should have lived longer....while the vet had a long, fruitful life, regardless of how it ended. Any death is a shame, but modern media panders to advertisers...they pay the bills....and the death of an actor in our fame obsessed society tends to be more shocking.....so it leads..

6. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    @(&$^!>*!!! As a vet that's all I can say.

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ponder this...

Paul Walker dies, Facebook timeline explodes.
    Nelson Mandela dies, and just a few posts on Facebook.

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree.

9. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Zippy, but I just don't agree entirely with your logic... I agree death is tragic. That's a simple concept and a reality of ones existence.

I didn't know who the actor was and don't care. What I do care about, however, is the reality that some folks can place an actor, sports figure, etc. on a pedestal and view them as being in a class above others, warranting some kinda special treatment or recognition. That, in my opinion, is total equine dung!

It is what it is...albeit a messed up time we live in. Clearly there's lots of room for getting our societal priorities back in order.! Maybe there's still time...

10. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I too hate the way our culture puts people up on pedestals, but have heard from numerous sources, that Paul Walker was a very nice person, so that makes it a little better? But in comparing who should and who shouldn't be on a pedestal, try asking that question to ANYBODYS Mother or Father, or child......ect.... that died that day, they would have a different answer......everybody is the same in the eyes of God :eek:

11. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    jiminni, I totally agree with you.

12. Firebro17

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    You're exactly right Jim.... Some folks may remember that June 25th, 2009 marked the date both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson passed away. No one but family and friends will know that it's also the day my father, a WWII Army veteran of the Pacific Theater, lost his battle with cancer. His life, service and accomplishment towards making this a better place for us all, is what I choose to remember each year on that date.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I remember when Princess Diana Past away. Mother Teresa passed away around the same time. I remember All the tears and people going to put flowers and teddy bears at the castle for Diana. But very little did anyone care about the sacrifice Mother Teresa made. No long lines of people waiting to get on camera putting there flowers out.
    The media was just as bad. Story after story about how Princess Diana gave her time to this or that while living in luxury. Compare that to Mother Teresa who lived in poverty and gave her whole life to what she believed in.
    I'm not Catholic and I'm not down on Paul Walker. I have heard he was a good guy so it is sad.
    Its more a sad commentary on us.

End of rant

14. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Unfortunately, we have allowed the media and social media to dictate what is important in today's socially-crazed society. Yes, it is unfortunate that the actor died...especially as a passenger driven in a speeding car by his friend. However, it was not heroic. It was a careless and tragic payment of one's need for speed.

The death of our aging veterans is sad, especially with so little fanfare. Unfortunately, the deeds of these men are lost on the youth of today and their needs to be recognized in the here and now. They are just not interested in the sacrifices made for their freedoms. :(

15. minirab

minirab Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Hagerstown, Md.
    Ratings:
    +851 / 0 / -0
    Very sad to say but you're right, I shudder to think what we would do

if we needed the vast majority of the 19 - 25 year olds to protect this

country, I think that too many would say f*&$% y@& let someone else

do it.

16. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    MCS02, first off, hope it was ok to edit your post? And second, I may get lambasted for quoting Scripture, but, it applies here.......

Don't worry about Mother Teresa, her rewards are not of this world :eek:

James 1:12
    New International Version (NIV)
    12 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

And:

Matthew 5:12
    New International Version (NIV)
    12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

:biggrin5: