Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Why Weld the PSRS in place?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Jul 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. etalj

etalj New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just installed my PSRS.

However, the welder didn't work, so we had to install it with red loctite alone, and surprise surprise, the set screws came loose and the knocking/rattling ensued.

Can anyone who has taken the arm/bushing off and welded the arm onto the sleeve let me know how they went about it?

Thanks,
    Elie

2. Dhabutcher

Dhabutcher New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #42 Dhabutcher, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    Alta

I would agree with the last statement fully, had same conversation with a R56 mini owner at a track day, but the fit is better than the customer service,
    i returned hundreds dollars worth of new parts that were wrong, I ordered right parts, right part number on invoice but wrong numbers on box, wrong parts in box,
    i have tracking numbers that they recived parts back and never have received the correct parts from my R53, ANd after a year the parts are now discontinued and never got a refund,

I have had 3 experiences with them all turned out about the same :mad2:

I just removed my Pivots while installing a front sway bar,
    My powerflex Bushings were in stalled at 40,000, now with 96.000, they are perfect, i cleand them and used a lil of the lube sent with my h sport bars, They are are tight as the day i installed them,
    The car has been tracked, Drove in frezzing wyoming weather, Very Impressed with POWERFLEX

3. Dhabutcher

Dhabutcher New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Powerflex over Alta

Nathan
    Hope You dont mind i borrowed your photo

See the small flat on the very bottom of the cast iron, about 3/8 in Dia,
    When i had my pivots out i drilled a very small hole less than a 1/8 inch thru the iron thru the OUT side part of the powerflex bushing, then Lubed the inner part slid it together, later after back in car, i drilled the hole in the iron about 1/4 inch deep, with a drill the size for a tap, to fit a grease zerk,

So now when i lube my H sport bars i can give these bushing a bit of lube

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    As to the original question.........

As shown in the pic above all I had done was tack welded the end of the sleeve to the arm. Doesn't take much to hold it in place.

5. etalj

etalj New Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did people who welded the PSRS in place disconnect the bushing carrier before welding? My mechanic said there's the distinct danger of overheating the bushing (and any grease inside). Should I fully remove the bushing carrier before welding, or do it as is?

6. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I removed the whole control arm when I welded them. I'm not sure whether that was necessary or not, but I did. The passenger side control arm came off pretty easily, but the center conical fitting on the drivers side was a bear to get loose. It did require dropping the entire subframe to get the control arms off.

I am pretty sure that Nathan just welded the sleeve on with the bushing still in place. Maybe he will comment...

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    We just popped the car on the lift, hammered everything back in place and hit with the welder. Ideal, probably not, effective, so far so good.

8. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Detroit Tuned put mine in last year without welding. They started rattling pretty quickly. He welded them, but now they are rattling again. Should have gone a different route.

9. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My PSRS have been fine without welding -- used two of three set screws and loctite.
    So far so good--

10. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Mine are happily rattling away, Stu*&YGIU^%^78855%%R%^&Son Of..... a#$%&*^$%Bitc%$$#and I'm not.
    Do your self a favor, don't buy these things.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Love mine still 2 yrs later......:Thumbsup: