Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Wildebeest Operation Ambient Intake Air Temps

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Helix Wildebeest, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Helix Wildebeest

Helix Wildebeest New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Phase I: consisted of converting to our new designed opposing flow liquid/air intercooler.

Phase II: Insulation of intercooler and intake manifold so that it is only cooling intake air temps and not engine conduction, convection, and radiant heat. I first wrapped them with Aerogel then with gold foil. I also wrapped the turbo charge pipe with gold foil only.
    IMG_3239.jpg

Below is a picture of the intake manifold wrapped in Aerogel and gold foil. The manifold was installed with a phenolic spacer between the manifold and head to stop conductive heat transfer into the aluminum manifold.

IMG_3241.jpg

I took care to insulate the MAP/AIT sensor from the coolant hose.
    IMG_3242.jpg

Below is the finshed product.

IMG_3243.jpg

The results: With the stock intercooler I would see heat soak at low or no speed climb into the 60+ degrees above ambient. @ WOT it would barely come down and would take forever at speed to reach 20-30 degrees above ambient.

After the intercooler I would see 25 degrees maximum above ambient temps at low to no speed and 5-10 degrees above at WOT towards the end of the pull. This is due to the intake manifold heat soak. Cruising speeds would yield about 8 degrees above ambient.

After the installation of the insulation I see 10 degrees above ambient at low to no speed. At WOT the AIT instantly drops below ambient (due to alky injection). Cruising speed would yield the same 10 degrees above ambient. This is due to the supercharger bypass valve being open. When the BPV is open the air also bypasses the intercooler.

Alky injection was in place and unchanged for all of these tests.

Phase III will consist of a sheet metal Aerogel turbo/manifold heat shield and isolating the intake to a fresh air source (CAI). I'll report back.

2. Helix Wildebeest

Helix Wildebeest New Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Damn it I mistyped "ambient" doh!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings: