Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Will forging engine parts fix oil consuming issue?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by genik, Aug 29, 2013.

1. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    #1 genik, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    Dear engine builders... will forging engine parts fix oil consuming issue?

Well the title sais it all, is there a chance to fix the oil burning issue if i forge pistons and anything else that could be forged inside the engine? Im curious, those overpowered R56S minis that are overpowered up to 260hp (or even more) how do they solve the oil consuming issue since they are over 100+ horse power than the stock model?

2. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    The oil isn't going through the piston so in that case it won't make a difference. The forged pistons will last longer in really souped up MINIs.

Oil use is usually blow by the piston rings or a valve issue. With manufacturers using rings that don't cause a lot of friction, in the quest for fuel mileage, the oil blows by these looser rings. You could out in stronger rings, if your really souping up your MINI you don't care about the mileage, but that may cause the cylinders to ware faster.

Consult a good engine builder that has experience in building MINIs!

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Forging adds strength. Guess if it keeps a rod & piston from blowing a hole though the block that will help lessen oil consumption. :wink:

4. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Are there any engine builders in this forum to give some advice to this thread?

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Forging everything? How exactly would you do that?

You can probably buy a forged crank (REAL spendy!) but that wouldn't affect oil usage, neither would forged pistons or rods. AFAIK they don't "forge" any of the parts that are causing oil consumption - ring blowby, PCV design, failed turbo seals and so on.

I think you have a valid idea, make parts stronger, but in this case the application isn't correct for the problem, it's more one of design than strength..... so the answer to the question in your title is "No", it would not fix the oil consumption problem.

And BTW, while bandied about here extensively, there's no empirical evidence that any of these steps need to be taken, as I believe the vast majority of S models don't burn oil - mine certainly doesn't.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Re: oil consumption....

I would first examine the hoses leading off the valve cover for oil residue... Then I would look inside the hoses going to the intercooler.... If quantities of oil are discovered.... Then I would suspect the PCV system isn't performing correctly.... If there was oil pooling inside the cold side of the turbo I might also suspect turbo bearing starting to go with possible oil leakage past the seals depending on mileage...

I would also examine around the oil pan for possible gasket leakage, but oil puddles on the floor would be a sign...

I suspect the biggest contributor to oil consumption is a defective PCV system...

Just my $0.02

I don't see forged parts fixing oil consumption problems...

7. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    A few questions:
    1. how often do you change oil
    2. what model is your R56S?
    3. you many mileage?
    4. what oil are u using? (thickness and brand)
    5. how often do you drive hard?
    6. where do you live? (mainly asking for weather conditions)
    thanx dave :wink:

8. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    What exactly is the PCV system and why doesn't BMW replace it if this is the issue?

9. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    PCV... Positive Crankcase Ventilation

Crankcase ventilation system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"and why doesn't BMW replace it if this is the issue?"

They would if it's found to be the cause of throwing a code.... and if it's still under warranty...

BMW continues to work on improving their engine emission control systems.... Changes to the PCV system have continued to be made to the Prince engine...

The valve cover has lots of baffles, traps and flapper valves.... It's not a serviceable item... When the passages get fouled or the valves don't close properly (perhaps due to infrequent oil changes, sludge, not using 100% synthetic oil, not reaching proper operating temperature etc,etc,etc), the PCV system gets "borked" (to become broken or damaged).....

Ummmm.... BMW also doesn't replace oil filters when they stop working....

New design engines are built for efficiency.... Sometimes that means thinner viscosity oils, larger cylinder to piston gaps.... searching for lower friction, easier turning engines, higher operating temperatures etc, etc, etc... Oil consumption can increase as a result....

10. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Answers in red

11. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    5. in daily use u drive it calmly?

12. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
  13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Oil changes once a year every 7-10 K with 3-5 track days REALLY. :mad2:

Sorry but all I can say about this is DUH. :popcorn:

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Every time I have ever done a race or track day my cars always had & have new oil in the sump. Not everyone feels the same as I do. Different strokes again.

15. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Well, there are track days, and there are track days......I don't consider my track days to be any harder on my car than a weekend at MINIs in the Mountains, time you include driving out and back from Kansas.

I run street tires and stock brakes, my car is not a race car, it's a stock engine car that gets driven harder, but shorter, miles than most.

I run top quality oil too. When I used to drive 15K a year, it got changed twice a year, now I only do about 5K a year (unless I take a trip to NC or Colorado - this year we took the Audi), so it's onto the once a year program for me.

I make no assumptions nor do I try to correct other's for their routines, I don't know why you feel compelled to criticize mine. I'm not some noob who doesn't know how to read his dipstick. I've been racing most of my life, and building engines and cars for just as long......

It's interesting to me how some people feel obliged to tell others how wrong their decisions are, not based on fact but on how their own lives and opinions are set......

I'll say this Mr. O, you are one opinionated SOB....and not afraid to tell anyone who'll listen either. A manual transmission R53 may be your dream car, but it's not everyone else's - I'm glad you like yours, please allow me and other folks the opportunity to like ours as much, without your sarcastic input.

16. genik

genik Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Take it easy guys, minis are one big family, no need to be "fighting" amongst ourselves :wink: