General "How To" Wilwod Dynapro Caliper Rebuild

4b200808-cb41-2fb0.jpg
I've run my Wilwood front brake BBK for 2 years and 25k miles with a handful of track days on 'em. Before that, they were on a car that was...
By agranger · Mar 4, 2018 ·
  1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    #1 agranger, Feb 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2011
    Hi all,

I did a rebuild on my Wilwood DynaPro calilpers last weekend and I thought that the folks on MA might appreciate having the pics, story and parts list.

I'm no brake expert... just handy with tools and willing to dig in and do the work. I'm posting the pics to the Motoring Alliance 'how to' section and I'm starting this thread so that there is a place for questions, discussion, comments, suggestions for improvement, etc.

I hope this helps someone!

Here's a link to the article in the Library.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the article! I have these calipers and I've been wondering what's involved.

3. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Honestly, the bulk of the hard work was scrubbing. The rest was simple and straightforward... unbolt it, take it apart, remove old hardware, clean, polish, reassemble, bleed brakes. If you have done your own brake job and fluid flush, you can do this easily.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I can see that now, and that's the point. When I don't know what will happen if I start disassembling something I often leave the tools in the toolbox, worried I'll do something I can't undo. I figured the innards of those calipers would be more complex somehow, now I know better. :yesnod:

5. Todd TCE

Todd TCE Member

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Glad it went well. The only thing I'd add here is that it is not necessary nor really advisable to split the caliper. Wilwood uses a threadlocker bonded to the bolts today that when removed (the bolt) can really do some damage to the threads. For the most part you should be able to wiggle the pistons out after pushing them out to the rotor and wiggle them back in (not always super easy) the same way. But if you must split them: be certain you order the cross over seals as they are in internally fed caliper.

Most or all of those parts are in stock and can be ordered off the SERVICE PARTS page.

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, good article. The procedure for TSW/ Outlaw 2000 series calipers is roughly the same, too.

7. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Thanks. I added this note to the article. Mine had already been cracked open, so no harm here, but that is great to know!