Exterior 1st Gen Windshield Wipers

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by MC40, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    #22 rkw, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    I did something unconventional with my wipers. A year ago, I was looking into replacement wipers and was looking at the PIAA website. There was a page (can't find it now, and the website has changed since then) that said their wiper inserts (the rubber part) will fit many OEM wipers. It showed a diagram of the cross section with measurements. Examining my original wipers, it looked like they might possibly fit.

The PIAA Super Silicone refill inserts are just $6.30 each at Amazon and qualifies for Super Saver free shipping. At that price, it was worth a try. If they didn't fit, I'd just buy the complete PIAA wipers ($17 each) and end up with an extra set of refills for the future.

I slid the PIAA inserts into the OEM wipers and they did work. The fit isn't perfect. The PIAA inserts are slightly narrower than the OEM inserts. Using pliers, I squeezed in the claws on the wiper to grip the insert more firmly. Functionally, they work perfectly (and still do, a year later). So I have the equivalent of a pair of PIAA Super Silicone wipers for less than $13 shipped.

Hey moderators, there are two threads with exactly the same name, and on the same topic. Maybe merge them?