Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Winter or All-Season Tires?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Person Moved On, Nov 4, 2010.

1. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Well...removed my lighter 18's and 40 ar summer tires this afternoon and put on the 17's and 45 ar All Seasons. Silverback has a little better ride with the A/S but the heavy 17's make it feel like I'm driving a pick-up truck. It will take a couple of days to get used to it again. Hello winter :mad5:

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Golly, Mark, I ALMOST feel sorry for you. At least the local gendarmes will be happy that you won't be doing your usual warp 9 [and above] til Spring. :cornut:

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Welshman, warp 9 straight ahead, no tight corners with these anchors :nonod:

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I know...I remember a few Winters ago when you blew on by me on 161 as you were headed for your Timbits fix! :cornut:

5. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Paul,

Similar proclivities?! Hey I resemble that remark!

All,

Little more feedback on the Conti DSW's, have about 100 miles on em'. This morning drivng to work it was 36 deg and a moderate to heavy rainfall and these baby's were eating the roads up! :Thumbsup:

Hit a couple spots with some deeper water on the road at about 70mph and I certainly felt them, as would any tire, but no loss of control and ploughed right through

On a couple on-ramps, one in particular is a pretty sharp turn, the Conti's just stuck em'

Once again, not summer stickies but for fall/winter at this latitude they are very nice!

6. dannyhavok

dannyhavok New Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Right now I'm riding stock 16" alloys and Dunlop SP5000 runflats. The tires are awful.

Tomorrow morning I should be getting Kumho KW19s on 15" Konig Feathers. They were to be mounted today, but there was a problem with the lug bolts being an irregular size. The stock ones wouldn't fit with the new wheels, and he couldn't find the 14/1.25 in town. Said he'd never run into this issue before. Tomorrow morning the proper parts should be arriving from Vancouver and I'll be set to go.

They are expecting a snowy, slushy winter here in Victoria so this should be a lot safer and more enjoyable for me!

7. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    We got our first snowfall of the season today - yesterday it was 60* and sunny, this morning it's 28* and snowing. Ah the joys of Kansas weather......

I run the Kumho Ecsta ASX UHP All seasons and they're OK in the snow, I also run them on the wife's Audi Allroad - of course she has one slight advantage!

Last year I ran the stock run flat Conti's and was very surprised how well I got around in the snow, if it get's really bad this year I may switch them out again.

Good to hear that the DWS is as promised - I may get a set for the Audi come next spring, it'll be about due then and we're driving it to Phoenix in March to see the grandkids....new tires makes for a safer trip.