Wireless router converted to receiver

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ScottinBend, Aug 7, 2011.

1. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Sorry bud, no tips. I have a Dlink DIR-655. I bought a DAP-1522 for the same purpose you described (set up in wireless bridge mode). Works flawlessly. I've been wanting to try the DD-WRT, but I just have not had a reason to swap things out.

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    What are you guys talking about? Cause I think I want one.

Mark

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Say you have an Internet connection in one room with a computer, or two connected to a router(wireless). In the other room you have some devices that could benefit from a network connection, or a faster connection. You can run cable to those devices, or you can install a wireless bridge that will allow those devices to connect

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I reflashed my extra Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT. We have a (standard firmware) Linksys wireless router connected to the cable modem on the main floor, but the signal wasn't strong enough for my dinky desktop antenna, and I don't have a wireless USB for my TiVo. Both are downstairs in my room. So I set up the reflashed router in bridge mode and it works awesome. My iPhone has no issues going from one router to the other, and I can run a hard wire to both the TiVo and my desktop.

There's a wiki and instructions here: Client Bridged - DD-WRT Wiki

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Jinky.....so that DAP1522 will do what I want right out of the box with no modding?

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I just got a new Arris home solutions system installed that has a Media gateway that includes a 6 channel DVR, wireless router, and phone service. This then can be used with up to 6 media players. You have a media player at each of your tv's and this allows you to watch anything recorded on any of the tv's. I had a wired router before and had to run cable to my game systems. With the new system, I now have a wireless router and want to be able to connect my game systems (and new TV when I get one) to the internet w/o cables, but I don't want to have to pay roughly $100 bucks apiece for the individual wi-fi dongles for the game systems.

With the new cheap wireless router set up as a reciever it will take the signal from my current router and send it to the game systems.

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    #8 goaljnky, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
    Yes, but you need to check if it's compatible with your router. It has a toggle switch on the back to set it to AP, or wireless bridge mode. Also, I paid $100 for it, but that was some time ago. I bought it for its 802.11-N wireless and because it had gigabit LAN ports. At that time this was the only unit that met those requirements.

P.S. If you are going to stream HD you will need N-Wireless. G does not have enough bandwidth.

9. Person Moved On

Person Moved On New Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    You guys should look at an Apple Airport Express. I use them at home & work to extend wireless networks. Easy to setup - very small footprint - only $99.

They should work with a PC based network, but I haven't tried that.

10. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    True, but I have a friend with that setup and his streaming can be spotty. There are no hard rules for Wi-Fi set ups. Testing for yor specific needs and environmental conditions is a must.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Thanks Jinky....didn't realize that my router needs to be compatible. I thought if it was the same speed (g/n) it would work. The DAP is about $60 at Amazon now, so for the extra few bucks I could get it and not have to worry about modding it. And they have a few other similar ones available now also.