1st Gen R53 Cooper S Wizzz sound when hot temperature

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Devrider, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Devrider

Devrider New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Industrial designer
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I notice a strange sound when accelerating/rolling, it kind of a " Wizzz" ... Like something who's suppose to follow th rev of the car, but having restriction ...
    Sound if present when using the a/c, but everything work fine ( maybe a/c is a bit hotter ... But still cold ... )

We have very hot days for a couples of days ( 90-99 F ) with humidity ... The sound doesn't seem to be there in the morning ( 80-82 F ), but when i'm close to job, I'm starting to ear it ...

Any idea of what it could be ? A/C clutch ? SC failure ?

DEv

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I usually here a whizzing sound when I've drank too much beer :beer:beer

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Wonder if maybe the A/C system is low on Freon or whatever is used as Freon these days.

4. Devrider

Devrider New Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Industrial designer
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Any way to check that ? Don't wanna go to Mini before having an idea on the problem ...

DEv

5. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    I noticed that you have a K&N filter. Is that a CAI? I noticed that when the weather is extremely warm the sound of air going into my engine is much louder. Possible reasons is because the heat makes the air less dense so your car is sucking more air in at a higher speed in order to get the same amount of oxygen in. It could just be the sound of air passing through your CAI.

Make sure your connections or seals are all secure. If there is more air pressure, it could be leaking through places where it should not be passing through.