Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Woops! Wrong tires...

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by jorn, Oct 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I got a voicemail yesterday from the "Motoring Consultant" who sold me my '11 R57 not quite two weeks ago. Seems that he was looking through some paperwork and they accidentally put the RF performance tires on my MCS instead of the RF all-seasons it's supposed to have.

Naturally, they have offered to let me come in and swap for free, given that I intend this to be a year-round ride for me. hmmmm

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Exactly how much difference is there between RF all-season and performance?

3. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm wondering the same thing. Perhaps somebody will wander into this thread and let us know. :wink:

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd figure the tread pattern and compound are different. The all seasons would suck all the time and the performance would be less sucky when the weather is nice and more so when it turns dicey.

5. beken

beken Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    IT - Complex business systems in the cloud
    Delta, BC
    Ratings:
    +2,100 / 1 / -0
    When I bought my car, that happened to me also. I suspect it is a ploy to try and get you to pay more. I ordered my car with the 16" all-season RF tires. The car "showed up" with 17" "high-performance" summer tires. The regular price for the 17" wheels and tires were $2000 more.

I told them I was in no hurry for the car, and to put the 16" wheels back on, and if they didn't have a set, to order a set in. They said they didn't order the 17" wheels either so gave them to me. I ended up going to an aftermarket tire place and bought wheels and snowtires for the winter.

You'll notice better grip and handling in the dry with the performance tires. However, that comes with a harsher ride and a bit more road noise. That's good if you are a spirited driver. But could be annoying if you carry passengers who are more used to Corollas or Civics.

The all-seasons will have a softer and less harsh ride and usually better wet traction, sacrificing ultimate grip and cornering ability at the limits.

Fuel mileage difference would be negligible.

The performance tires are probably more expensive so he probably overcharged you for the tires. I would check the pricing of both and if the price is lower for the all-seasons, he needs to drop the price also. They'll everything they can to not drop the price.

6. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    If you were charged for the all-season and got high perf, I would keep the high perf.
    If you were charged for the high perf but wanted all-season, I would ask for money back and tell them you will save time money by keeping the high perf tires.

My GP came with high perf runflats and they were fine in the rain.

7. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG] You drove your GP in the rain? :frown2:

8. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I seem to recall (I'll need to check on my sticker) that I paid for all-season. If I had the cash right now, I'd probably say "Thanks, but no thanks; I'll keep 'em!" and go grab a set of winter tires/rims from somebody like TireRack.

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Going with a dedicated winter tire is the way to go. Maybe your dealer will help you out & cover some of that cost. Worth asking, maybe you will get lucky.

10. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
  11. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    From the factory, MINI supplies summer tires as standard, and all season is a no-cost option. You can see it in the configurator. I don't know why all of you are talking about an extra charge.

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Another Rf all season. My best guess is they'd swap a set off another MINI that they have in inventory.

13. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That seems to be the case. I asked if they had any black rims and they said they'd oblige me. :)

14. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    this sounds like someone forgot to check off an option box when ordering your car...honestly you will be better served with the advice written above. DEDICATED WINTERS. It might be a bit of an extra cost upfront, but they will save you in the long run.

15. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    #15 grodenglaive, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    As a related aside, I read an article a few months ago where they compared high performance summer tires, all seasons, and winter tires on identical honda civics. Surprisingly, they found the performance summer tires had the best wet traction, followed by the winters. The all-seasons were the worst in the rain! Of course, this might depend on the brand. In this case it was Honda's oem Michelin all seasons (Pilot HX MXM4) vs Michelin summers (Pilot Exalto PE2) vs Michelin winters (Primacy Alpin PA3). Results from the dry pavement and in the snow were as expected, with all-seasons being second place in both cases.
    If I can remember where I read this, I'll post the link.

found it! Inside Line

16. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The dealer sent me the following pic of the rims they'd swap for me. I think dark rims would look better on my MINI.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. murdoc1905

murdoc1905 New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a lot of issues driving with the High Performance tires in the snow.... a lot......

18. jorn

jorn New Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It's my impression that it's essentially impossible.

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Not impossible, but ill advised. Last new years I got stuck in a snow storm in my two day old M5 with brand new max performance summer tires. I managed to make it home, but I did not dare go faster then 15 mph, nor come to complete stop for fear of not being able to get rolling again.

20. murdoc1905

murdoc1905 New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep, got stuck in a half inch of snow for a half hour XD at a walmart parking lot... good times.. good times