World Debut: The MINI WRC Rally Car (Final Design & Livery)

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nathan, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Today MINI has taken the wraps off of the final Countryman WRC Rally car. This is the final design and specification that the MINI WRC Team will entrust to drivers Dani Sordo (ES) and Kris Meeke (GB) for its debut in the premier category of rallying at the Rally Italy from 5 – 8 May 2011. Further entries are planned in the WRC events in Finland, Germany, France, Spain and Great Britain. And based on early reports it looks like private teams will line up with the Super2000 version of the car at the end of March in Rally Portugal. (Hi-res photos & video after the break)

“We are delighted to present the MINI John Cooper Works S2000 here in Geneva,” said Dr Wolfgang Armbrecht, Senior Vice President Brand Management MINI. “MINI has joined forces with a highly experienced partner in Prodrive, and our colleagues in England continue to oversee the development of the MINI John Cooper Works WRC. When you add the turbocharged MINI engine and the BMW Group’s expertise in the world of motor sport to the mix, you can see we have an exceptional blend of attributes which will take us quickly to the next stage. The car’s technical make-up and driving characteristics make it the perfect fit for rallying. Entering the WRC takes MINI back to its rally roots and brings this heritage right up to date.”

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F11ThamRk60[/ame]

Versatility lies at the heart of the new rule-book drawn up by the sport’s world governing body, the FIA. The 2011 regulations put private teams in a position to line up with the same cars as the factory team. The idea is to allow for the unexpected. In Portugal, for example, the Brazil World Rally Team will be sending the Brazilian Daniel Oliveira into action in a MINI John Cooper Works S2000, and reigning PWRC champion Armindo Araujo (PT) will line up in a MINI for the Motorsport Italia outfit. Oliveira and Araujo will then swap over to the MINI John Cooper Works WRC for Rally Italy. Prodrive is currently working on 12 MINI rally cars for delivery to customers across Europe.

[​IMG]

Three key areas set the WRC car apart from its Super2000 sibling. The MINI John Cooper Works WRC will gain a larger rear wing and its front end will boast greater aerodynamic efficiency. On asphalt rallies the WRC machine will be fitted with water-cooled brakes on the front axle, while the side windows of the MINI John Cooper Works WRC will be made from ultra-lightweight plastic.

The powerful heartbeat of both cars will be generated by the turbocharged 1.6-litre engine used in standard MINI production cars, but optimised by BMW Motorsport for use in numerous race series. Indeed, this engine also powers the BMW 320 TC run by privately-entered teams in the FIA World Touring Car Championship. So it looks like those rumors of a MINI engine in a BMW finally came to fruition. Just a little differently than we expected!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvsJSwZVYwU[/ame]

The diameter of the air intake restrictor is also identical, although Prodrive also offers a variant with a smaller restrictor for championships where WRC cars are not permitted. Customer teams can order both the MINI John Cooper Works WRC and the Super2000-specification car from Prodrive as part of an extensive service package (which we published last year here).

The MINI WRC Team has further tests lined up over the coming weeks, before the car is presented to the public at the MINI plant in Oxford (GB) on 11th April 2011. However as part of the launch process the official MINI Motorsport website www.MINImotorsport.com is now live. On the site fans can find news, pictures, videos and much more besides on the brand’s motor sport activities; features include detailed profiles of both the MINI WRC Team and the MINI John Cooper Works WRC.

[​IMG]

2. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    We really need a drool emoticon!

Glad to see Prodrive is able to spread the cost of development across so many cars.

3. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I liked the shot of them putting on a sticker of the Mini emblem. Because a badge is too heavy.

4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Good stuff, can't wait to see the Prodrive Mini's in action!!!

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  6. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Now I know where the # 37 came from that's on the MINI on the M/A racing shirt design. Does anyone know why Prodrive are using it? That is, does it have any particular significance?

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Need I say more?

[​IMG]

8. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Nope, a picture says a thousand words. :smilewinkgrin:

9. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm confused. This car does not look like the one on the shirt. There are differences to the front. They talk about a WRC JCW S2000 and a Super 2000. Is one for the team and the other for private teams?

Jim

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Keep in mind these latest images were just released. There are some small differences between the all the images that were shown before, and what the shirt image is based upon and the images released today. Namely the one today does not include the rally lights one would have installed for stages that take place in the dark. There is also a small "cornering" or "fog" light in the lower section of the front bumper.

I really don't think these are enough to garner an entire redesign of the shirt. If you think it does then let me know if you have ordered one already and I will process a full refund.

Now I'm no Rally Expert so bear with me here.

It looks to me from the FIA site that there are two series, or to compare, two classes that run rallies at the same time. PWRC and and SWRC.

It seems to me that the WRC JCW S2000 is for the SWRC class and the Super 2000 is for the PWRC class.

Do NOT take that as gospel please. I am still learning all the rally lingo, classes and the like.

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    No, No, leave the shirt just as it is. I like that version best and it is the one I have as a wall paper on my computer. I was only asking a question, as I too am just learning WRC.

Jim

12. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Someone call David Richards & tell him our shirt is blu, not red. He needs to paint that rally car asap. :D

That is such a sweet car. :Thumbsup:

I do long for the days when competition cars were more production based. Guess that is because I'm an old fart & I rememeber the good old days.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know whether WRC teams get to pick their car numbers or is this just press release livery? I suspect the latter but it would be cool if they actually get to use 37.

14. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    #14 Justa Jim, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    I knew it was Paddy's old number, but you pose a good question. On the other hand why did his car have "33EJB" on the bonnet?

Jim

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    License plate for car is 33 EJB

16. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    #16 Firebro17, Mar 2, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    Can't wait for the WRC!! Now don't mistake me here because I may have a personal partiality, but a blue MINI on the circuit? I don't think so... :lol: Take a look at my MINI album and you'll get it... :D

On another note, maybe we could consider an alternative shirt of some sorts that depicts the final color and design for the WRC car. :popcorn: :beer: