WRC: Video, in-car w/ Kris Meeke at Rally Germany

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Steve, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Great stuff plus I love it when I can understand the language the navigator is speaking. :Thumbsup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxmhc6HcNpY]Kris Meeke Incar - SS4 WRC Rallye Deutschland 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Dang I need a cigarette after that, pure sex!!!

Thanks for sharing the video!

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That was very cool. I liked the way the co-drivers voice changed when they hit that bump. :biggrin5:

I don't really understand the directions the co-driver is giving. Can anyone explain the code to me?

Jim

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I don't know all the terms, I just can pick up some based on context. It helps to know that although this guy (Paul Nagle) is technically speaking English, as Nathan would say he's actually speaking Irish. :biggrin5: Similar but doesn't always sound the same. Helps to tune in if you think of an Irish accent while you're listening.

Also, apparently the notes are different to an extent unknown to me from one driver to the next. I read something written by Sordo's navigator where he explained that the notes belong to the driver. The driver decides what the notes need to say because he's the one who needs to understand what the shorthand means. Do they each make up their own code? Don't know...

5. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think most of it is self exploratory, but when you hear numbers (often) is basically lets them now the severity of a turn. Much more commonly referred to as "pacenotes" :

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacenotes]Pacenotes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

The drivers are free to change out the notes as they interpret the course, and they can act more accordingly while flying through the wilderness.

AWESOME video BTW.

6. RllyDrvrIX

RllyDrvrIX New Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I found the navigator annoying. I understand it's important but I'd go nuts...

7. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    #7 Gil-galad, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    I guess that's what it takes, 'cause he's widely considered to be one of the top co-drivers out there. I'm always impressed at how he manages to keep the big picture and will pass on reminders about tire temperature, etc. And you can tell by the inflection in his voice when it would be REALLY BAD to cut a corner or brake late!

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I think it is an amazing partnership between co-drive & driver. I'm in awe of them. The driver gets all the glory, but without a great co-driver he's toast.

9. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Steve & KC Jr, Thanks a lot, as that makes it much clearer. I can see that this information is very important to the driver. :Thumbsup:

Jim

10. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    ^ This!

It takes an amazing amount of faith in the driver to be a good navigator too.......or lack of good sense..LOL

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    So the organizer provided pace notes are similar to the books given to pro golfers, showing distances from tee to hole at various locations on the course. I can see that the co-driver/driver relationship is very important and they really are "co-drivers", rather than "navigators" any more, as they were back when the route was a secret until the actual race. I am getting into this rally stuff, so thanks for all the information. :Thumbsup:

Jim

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Since we're on the subject I had to dig this one up from Rally Finland. I like the different perspective you get from the co-driver/navigator.

"I don’t care how many metres we fly." (minimotorsport.com)

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    OK, I hear the term "puncture" a lot. I'm sure it is not exactly the obvious, so what exactly is this?

Jim

14. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Puncture = tire failure.

15. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I figured that, so do they use run flats or was a blow out which they had to change?

Jim

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Did some searching. Is this the answer:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_mousse]Tire mousse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Jim

17. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Great video.
    The co-drivers do the hard work. I cannot image trying to read notes, watch the road, talk coherently, and not throw-up.

18. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    The level of detail in pace notes are very personal to the driver - if you ever see a video of Gronholms' co-driver, he barely seemed to say more than left or right (in Finnish, obviously!), whereas Chris Meeke and Petter Solberg (although Petter is Norwegian, his co-driver uses English) seem to want details of each piece of gravel.

The lovely thing about Nagle is while he is a real pro, in extreme moments he can still let fly - elsewhere in the German rally, Meeke slid the car into a downhill corner with a big drop and Nagle screamed like he thought his life was about to end - which is maybe what he thought.

Marcus Gronholm: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJn2Tt0eIlc]Finland 2007: Gronholm Onboard SS21 - YouTube[/ame]

Petter Solberg: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHcovQblpCc]WRC Onboards: Greece 2011: Petter Solberg SS10 Requested by JoseAmnesia - YouTube[/ame]

The one co-driver that could actually speak even faster than the driver could drive was Luis Moya. Just listen to how many syllables he can fit in one second: [ame="http://www.viddler.com/explore/ponsetionline/videos/81/"]Viddler.com - Sainz-Moya Finlandia 3 - Uploaded by ponsetionline@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/f8b3c95b/@@AMEPARAM@@f8b3c95b/[/ame]

19. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That was a great comparison, thanks for posting that. I am starting to get a real feel for this now. :Thumbsup:

Jim

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The co-driver is not watching the road. He has his face planted in the route book & is watching the odo to make sure his notes match the place the car is on the road. Very important, a missed note spells disaster.

I don't understand how one can keep his lunch down doing that job.