White Roof WRR asks about your experience with the Sprint Booster

Discussion in 'MINIs in Other Media' started by Nathan, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The latest White Roof Radio has an Ask Chad question about the Sprint Booster. To get their thoughts you'll need to listen to show. They ask that those of you that have used this item to discuss. Not just something like "it's great" or "::cough::snakeoil::cough::". Please explain why you have the impression you have for the product.

2. dbwilldo

dbwilldo New Member

May 7, 2009
    Computer guy.
    Southern California
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You heard it in the show, let's see what you guys think about this! Have you used it? Love it? Hate it? Let us know!

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I'll donate one for them to test themselves, and give an honest report back.

4. COOPERRACER7

COOPERRACER7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I installed it last year and in the begining it was fast. No matter what mod you use however after you get used to driving with it it seems normal.:eek:

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    #5 Justa Jim, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    I installed one on my justa and found that it works perfect in conjunction with the torque arm bushings. A tune is not possible for me, so the Sprint Booster was my best option. Everyone thinks only in terms of the "S", so we seem to be the "lost generation". I find that it smooths out the throttle giving more of a direct linkage effect. I like being able to make slight adjustments to the throttle and getting a responce, rather then having to mash it. It does not add HP or torque, so my car may not faster, but it certinaly is "quicker". I am very pleased with it and justa's are MINI's too.

Jim

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #6 cct1, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

They already got one from Whoreizon. Initial price was $299.00, but they gave two generous options: 1 sprintbooster for $350.00, or two for $900.00:D

Seriously though, very generous of you to off that up to MF. Sprintbooster is one of those things I'd like to try, but one thing bothers me about it. And that is that some people feel the throttle is fully on or off, and difficult to modulate. Just from reading the boards, it seems to be more of a problem the more modded your car is. Mine's just a stock JCW (at least for now, until I can get you to lay hands on it), so it may not be too much of an issue.

On the other hand, I'd love a more instantaneous throttle input; the lag on a heel-toe downshift can be frustrating on the track.

Overall, it seems most people like the thing...

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    That's the part WRR is featuring? Really? Wow.

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Not sure what they mean here. I feel that I have better control of the full range of the throttle. I felt it was more off or on without the Sprint Booster.

Jim

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Don't know if it's a different response on the MC versus the MCS. Be interesting to see other people's thoughts.

I'm leaning toward trying it--I've got a track day coming up in 2 weeks, I'm going to go without it then, and when I go back later this summer, maybe buy one and try it then.

I just had the powerflex bushings installed, almost the entire set that powerflex makes for the MINI (got them from WMW, long story, but with the powerflex fire, some were backordered, but fortunately some came in right after I had given up on finding them anywhere--thanks for the priority shipping BTW), but I haven't picked up my car yet. I want to see if they make much of a difference on throttle response first. Eventually (next spring) I want to get a head/cam and tune done by Way in Indy; with tuning, I'm still stuck on how much more benefit the sprint booster would be.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I found the SB (the original, not the new 3 selection one) to be very on-off on my MCS. Now this was after I had the car tuned and had the throttle response "adjusted" by the tuner. It never felt right to me, way to touchy.

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm just guessing here, but it sounds like if you have the throttle responce changed with a tune, there is no need for the SB. The two may not work correctly together.

Jim

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Yep........tune was about the same cost as the SB.

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just got back from another spin about. The race setting is NOT, (cough) snake oil (cough), by any means. Red is where it stays from now on.

Jim

14. RonsMinnie

RonsMinnie New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 28, 2009
    Sugar Land, TX
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    How does the SB use interact with the sport mode button?

15. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    One size does not fit all with this device.
    I tried it and returned it. My best advice is to try it on your car before you get one. If that is not possible, make sure you can return it if it does not work out for you/your car.

I am sure this is a great product for some, not so much for others.

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I honestly have no idea, as I have not pushed the sport button since I got the Sprint Booster installed. Way (WMW) said something about actually having for positions, Off, Sport Button, Sport (Booster) and Race. I took that to mean not to use the button with this device. In the Race mode there is no need for anything else, as the throttle is instant.

Jim

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Sport mode also effects steering.

Mark

18. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I kmow and I thought about that, but it feels fine to me. Perhaps I'll try the sport button next trip out and let you know. I have noticed a slight drom in MPG, but I am not driving the way I use to anymore. :devil:

Jim

19. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I gave up worrying about MPG a long time ago. If I motor in a mild mannered way(not often) I get great MPG, if I motor in my normal spirited manner(most of the time) I still get pretty good MPG, if I motor in a manner(daily, for short stretches) that drop the MPG to rather poor, I don't give a coprolalia:lol::Thumbsup:

I love the A Word A Day thread:D

Mark

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    More time will be required to see how much and how other things change the MPG. Right now the quick responce I'm getting is fun and hard to stop playing with. I really love this thing.:Thumbsup:

Jim