WTB R53 in need of an engine!

Discussion in 'Want to Buy' started by Nombie, Dec 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Nombie

Nombie New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Insurance agent
    Macon, GA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    #1 Nombie, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    Ahem...

Blown motor, needs a rebuild, darn thing won't start,
    Jiffy Lube says you need an $8,000 part?
    It made a sounds like "SCREEEE-uurrrrk-CLUNK!" and started to smoke!
    You'd fix it yourself if you weren't so dang broke?

Head gasket blown to bloody smithereens?
    I'll take it as long as it's not British Racing Green!
    If you have one to sell, I am your man indeed,
    All around mechanically unsound...
    That is what I need!

Looking for a 2004-2006 R53 that needs a motor replacement. I don't have high hopes that one of you guys happen to have one collecting dust somewhere in the back of the cupboard, but I know that many of you are part of an established Mini scene, so I ask that you please keep your eyes peeled for one in the wild. I'm located in middle Georgia but certainly don't mind traveling a few hundred miles for the right deal.

In a perfect world I'd be looking for a Dark Silver Metallic or Electric Blue Metallic 2005 one-owner, non-smoker MCS with less than 60k pampered miles that grandma forgot to change the oil in and it locked up on the way to The Fresh Market.

But it's not a perfect world, so I'll take what I can get. Thanks, Obama.

• cats are OK - purrr
    • dogs are OK - wooof
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited British Racing Green

[EDIT: I don't know what an R35 is, but I don't want to buy one!]

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Fixed the thread title.

Check with Way over at Way Motor Works. He often has a basket case or knows of one.

3. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I know of a 2005, well maintained, less than 13,000 miles, 13,000 dollars--if I was looking, this would be the car I'd buy, or at least put an offer on. I've never seen it in person, but the person who has is one of the most respected people in the MINI community-- this car has been well maintained and pampered. If you're interested let me know, I'll see if I can get the info flyer on it (for the record I have no stake in it whatsoever, I don't know the owner personally, it's a great car in need of a great home).

4. Nombie

Nombie New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Insurance agent
    Macon, GA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Nathan. I'll shoot Way a PM and see what we can dig up.

That, my friend, sounds like a wonderful car and a worthwhile investment. Unfortunately, it's also far more than I was looking to spend right now. I should've mentioned a price range, I apologize. I'm really looking to get the best deal I can possibly find. I'll settle for something that hasn't been wrecked or run down. So I fully expect this to be a long, difficult search.

The reason I'm starting off this way rather than just buying a running Mini to mod is because I don't have the cash for a decent one and I am not willing to take out a loan. I can generate enough cash to put it together over this next year and really put some great work into it, but due to some pretty terrible financial mistakes in college and a period of homelessness <insert sob story here>, I would be staring down the barrel of a 25%+ interest rate on a ~13k loan. I just won't do it. So I'm looking for something more around the $3,000 range that I can spend the next year building. I'm in no hurry.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That's cool--maybe look for a salvage title, if you're not looking to resell and it's just for fun--you can find some that are listed as a salvage title with nothing more than A-pillar damage. If I was building from scratch, I'd take a good look around, and Way may be able to help you with that too. It's still street legal, it's just not worth much on the open market once it's been branded salvage, but still be a great platform to build/mod.

6. Nombie

Nombie New Member

Dec 28, 2013
    Insurance agent
    Macon, GA
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm probably going to end up fishing around some salvage auctions if I can't find anything else. I'd prefer to get a clean title if I can manage to find one. I have zero intentions of reselling the car if I ever need to get rid of it, but salvage titles can be difficult to insure.

I'm not dead set on the year, by the way. I'm very flexible actually, as long as it's R53. Being picky will get me nowhere.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Why not buy a running R53 & blow up the engine? That way you get to build it the way you want. Blowing up an engine can be fun if done right. :wink:

8. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Dick (Modfather) has a Sprintex you can put on it; put the small pulley on it--the one that voids the warranty, let him tune it for you, and that should the trick nicely.