WTF Was Ford Thinking

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Feb 11, 2011.

Tags:
  1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Fordarri?
    Ferord?

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Which pony emblem would've won out the prancing stallion or the mustang?

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Mustang. (A COMPLETELY biased answer...:D)

I remember at Cars and Coffee a couple years back and guy brought a track prepped foxbody mustang and he was telling a story of an HPDE student with a Ferrari that couldn't drive and got mad everytime the guy in the Mustang passed him on track. The guy with the Ferrari came up to the guy with the Mustang and said, "I don't care how fast your car is. It will never be a prancing pony." They guy with the Mustang replied, "Nope, but a prancing pony isn't as fast as a stampeding mustang..." HI-larious.

4. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  5. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    So, I'm a total Ford girl - when it comes to trucks. Sorry boys, I really dislike all things Mustang. But here's a great video of a 600hp Ranger trying to prove it's an F1 car :D
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEptw_tV010&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - V6 Ford Ranger on Pikes Peak - Greg Stingerie[/ame]
    I love the shot around 1:05 - I think the camera man had a heart attack!

6. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:NEWS UPDATE: Colt Pt Firearms Mnf Co sues Ferrari over Rampant Colt trade mark infringement and in other news; Ford sues Colt for naming one of their pistols the Mustang ,in a class action suite with Ferrari as a Rampant Colt is displayed on the slide of the weapon.:crazy::devil::lol:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
    Jason

7. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    one can't decide NOT to pursue litigation if one wishes to protect against future infringement. trademarks need constant vigilance otherwise you're legal standing is eroded. just the nature of the law.

8. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Update to the Update: Colt Pt Firearms Mnf Co counter sues Ford Motor Company as the Colt COBRA Revolver was trade marked 10yrs prior to the Ford Shelby COBRA Mustang. We await further developments.:Thumbsup:

Jason

9. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I remember that...

I thought most of those "Mustang" lawsuits were brought by lawfirms that weren't exactly working directly for Ford. For instance, they're supposed to be defending trademarks and so they just send out letters to everyone that has ever said the word Mustang, and Ford stepped in on some of the really ridiculous ones and said don't worry about it. I know some people just said, "No, we're not paying a fee or changing our name" and they just backed off. Kind of a "we'll throw a ton of lawsuits ou there and see what sticks".

10. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's exactly what Ferrari was worried about. Cashing in on some rednecks dream. They sat around and thought that up?! It's amazing to me the arrogance they have. Just continuing to show how petty the USA is. How greedy and misguided. Frankly they are idiots. It's just another reason to have no respect for US automakers.

11. Zeyk_Shade

Zeyk_Shade Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Wow, pretty classy of you to use a meaningless copyright infringement and brand protection issue to take a shot at the US as a whole. The law requires that they meet all potential copyright issues in court or they eventually will lose their legal footing. Ask Bayer how they feel about the word Aspirin nowadays. Bayer still owns the trademark to the word Aspirin, but not aspirin. Coca-Cola went through the same stuff with people using the word "coke" to describe any number of soft drinks. They almost lost the copyright on the word "Coke".

Spinning this into something other than that is disingenuous and more petty than you're claiming the USA is.

12. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :mad5:Flaming the United States of America AND her Citizens. I'd call THAT arrogant(using your words):incazzato:

Jason

PS Your avatar shows you in free fall,that's only half of the sport. Real men (US Special Forces) perform Parascuba(like I did)with their Parachute Harness over their Scuba Gear while parachuting into the ocean and thence lock into the submarine or onward to the beach.PLEASE, you can criticize and call ME names all day long and I'll laugh with you.However, my countries honor is sacred to me and that's why I fought for her in combat against an armed enemy on four different occasions.

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    There's an old redneck saying: Hog wash.

Proud to be an American and proud of the USA!
    Mark

14. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Ever wonder why it is 'band-aid BRAND bandages'? Same thing... Band-Aid lost their trademark on the term 'Band-Aid' from non-defense and had to back up to the defendable 'Band-Aid Brand'.

Is it silly? Yes. Is it a corporate reality that the silly lawsuits MUST be filed in order to retain rights to defend future serious infringements on the brand? Yes.

The silliness stems from the US legal code... Not the US corporations that have to work within that framework.

15. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    What would Ferrari have done in the reverse situation? They are total butt heads when it comes to their brand... Ask any of the model slot car manufacturers who try to do a Ferrari without their "blessing." It is free advertising for them, but they demand payment for use, anyway. Seems the Italians are just as petty and greedy as us stupid, redneck, Americans, eh Tuls?:frown2:

16. Tata Steva

Tata Steva MINI of the Month - September 2010

May 30, 2010
    DOP/stock Photography
    TO
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNsTzhocmDU[/ame]

17. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Point and relevance? :confused5:

18. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    we thank you for your service, here's a cookie.

a real operator doesn't post rubbish like this on car forums, btw. I'm calling your bluff.

19. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    There is such a thing as a "real" operator on a car forum? Really? :eek:ut:

20. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #40 Jason Montague, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    :Thumbsup: De Oppresso Libre. TULS and PGT,birds of a(white) Feather.

Jason