Most liked posts in thread: X Brace to stiffen your MINI

1. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Coming up on a year now with a brace on the Clubbie. Very happy with how things turned out:Thumbsup:

Mark

2. RussWK

RussWK Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    TSW brace is a significant improvement over the Madness brace. The convertible is more stable over rough pavement and RR tracks, and more stable in the curves and generally at higher speeds. (Not saying how high). There is definitely less cowl shake. There wasn't much before, because of the braces I had, but noticeably less now. TSW brace is very much worth the money. I have Koni FSD shocks, tower plates and brace, plus poly bushings.

3. PGT

PGT Wheel Whore

May 4, 2009
    Federal Gov Contracting
    Leesburg VA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    +1 for best option. It doesn't have clearance issues like the M7 USS does and you don't have to mess with 'nutserts'. Think about it.....how much can the USS actually do if you are bolting it to thin sheetmetal with the nutsert? The x-brace bolts to solid mount points.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #3 Steve, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    I don't own the TSW version but I do have the M7 USS. For those who haven't held the USS in hand to check it out, it's made of black anodized, rectangular aluminum tube.

Does the chassis really flex? One of the members of my USS is bent. I've studied it in detail with good light and magnification and can find zero evidence of impact or anything else that might have caused it. Is this a result of lightweight materials and real stress? I can't say for certain, but I kinda think so and I will be replacing it one of these days with a different brace.

I can't believe I forgot to take pics. I'll try to remember next time I get the car off the ground.

5. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I have the R53 version. It is a well made item and installs easily enough. The X-brace is very strong, it simply has to stiffen the chassis, and it would provide some measure of protection for an inadvertent off-road or off-track excursion.

However, I would warn you to NOT use the torque specs supplied as they are wrong. Or at least they were wrong, I could not find the install instructions on Way's site to verify. Just use the shop manual, and all will be well.
    I know, not your fault Way, but it is your burden to fix.

Also, while it does install fine after you get the proper torque specs, there are fitment issues with some after market headers. Specifically, there can be interference with the cat on an after market header where it smacks the top of the gusset right at the 'X'. Also, there can be fitment issues with the post cat O2 sensor location or an AFR bung location, meaning they can also interfere with the center 'X' area of the brace. Sure you could blame any fitment issues with another after market component all on the other component. Regardless of fault, there are definitely fitment issues.

6. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    How does this differ from a rear say bar in what it does for the car? Just asking as I don't really know.

Jim

7. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I have the TSW X-brace and I love it! I did a lot of research on it before I purchased it and it was the only one I considered from the start. Noticed the difference straight away when I installed it.

8. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Yes I have made a PDF with instructions and the factory torque specs. I can email it to anyone needing them.

As for fitment, It was designed to fit with the stock cat. So if anyone that has a header has the cat in a different location or size it can be an issue, but we can't make different versions for each header. If you want an X brace get it before the header or be prepared that it may contact.

As for difference from a swaybar. This will stiffen up the car by taking the flex out of it. The swaybar works in the suspension to make the car turn and rotate. They work totally different.

9. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    While I have front and rear swaybars as well as a strut bar brace I thought the X Brace a great extra

I'm tempted to uninstall the strut bar and sell as I don't see it having anywhere near the impact the XBrace does

If it wasn't a royal PITA I would do the same with the front swaybar

For those who have not done anything to the front suspension this is a no brainer. Easy to install with great bang for the buck compared to all other choices.

One of my 'Mod Mantra's' is take care of the suspension before adding the 'go fast' stuff

10. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Way, could you email to me so I can make sure I am torqued to spec. When I installed I took to snug and about a 1/2 turn beyond

11. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's a great part

I have one on my car, and all I can say is that it really, really stiffens up the chassis. My car is old and beat, and this really helped it. It's an easy install and does what it's supposed to.

I do bump into an occational speed-bump in parking lots though.

But it really tightens up the whole chassis. If you put one of these on, you'll have to re-tune you suspension settings to get you back to your sweet spot though. It does make that much of a difference.

Matt

12. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, what did you have to re-tune in your suspension due to the added chassis stiffness?

I guess I just do not have a sophisticated enough suspension butt dyno, but for my car it just seemed that things were a little tighter, turn-in a little sharper, more controlled, etc. I was just better. However, I did not make any suspension adjustments after install.

What am I missing?

13. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Nothing.

Its a well made piece that stiffens the front of the chassis and does just what you described; nothing more and nothing less.

PS: There have been X-braces much the same as these available for BMWs for a long time.

14. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I think what Matt is saying , is if you adjusted your suspension, ie shocks to compensate with the flex, that once it's gone you may have to readjust shock settings.

15. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Another happy X-brace owner here. It really stiffened up the convertible flex!

16. danf

danf New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've got one and I love it!

17. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Update after the install of the TSW/Way Upper Motor Mount as a replacement for the stock hydraulic mount and the TSW/Way damper.

Fitment issues are history! I no longer experience any contact between the after market cat and the X-brace. :Thumbsup:

18. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Excellent!!!!! :D:D:D

19. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got that worked out! I noticed that on my car, too. I had to use a bunch of washers to get my catback exhaust centered in the rear bumper. After I installed the TSW motor mount, I removed a bunch of washers because it realigned everything.

20. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #19 mini_racer, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks, it was frustrating for a while there. The damper is great, it is just not strong enough for my needs. And speaking of washers, I also used washers as spacers for the rear mounting points of the X-brace to lower it away from the cat. I know I can go and remove them now, and allow the X-brace to function as designed. (Yeah I know it will not be a noticeable difference, still...)