X vs DE set up

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by Rae, May 14, 2011.

1. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Ok y'all here's the deal. While I'm totally enjoying autoX for the fun and sharpening my skills off the track, I do have a vicious competitive streak. Top 3 in my class is preferred. However, as I learn more about this stuff, it seems that the really competitive setups are rather different. So what are you all doing? Does anyone have a build that they like for both? Feel free to hash it out, just be nice!

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #2 KC Jr 54, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
    What class are you in atm? I'm in SMF atm, and love it. I am allowed to do pretty much anything I want to the car and I still am in that class. I was very surprised to read the specs on the MCS that got 2nd in SMF at last years Nationals, and really the "lack" of mods done to it.

I think a MINI set-up to the max for auto-x would be very unstable on a track, and "track" mini would plow the tight corners.

3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I run the GP in DSP, mostly because the other MINIs (and a GP) in our group are there. Honestly, I haven't the foggiest clue when I read the autoX rules. Originally they threw me in FSP, but that wasn't right. At this point the car is stock except for a CAI. But it is a GP :)

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    :Thumbsup:

One reason (among many actually) that I no longer do AutoX's.
    And I would add that a neutral car set-up for the twisties would also be useless on the AutoX course.

5. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    I find an adjustable rear sway bar makes the car pretty versatile. It only takes 5 minutes to change settings - soften it up a bit for the track and you're done. Just don't get too aggressive with the alignment.

6. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Yes, 2 completely different setups..
    Of course with your car being stock doesn't really matter what the best setup is if you plan to keep it stock.. but if going adjustable front and rear I'd think pretty aggressive camber wise in the front and not as aggressive in the rear to let it "drift" alittle to help turn. Then might could adjust that some with the adjustable rear sway bar... Course setup each time out could warrant alittle change but not much way to adjust that on the fly..other then the RSB