Xmarks to shut down within 90 Days

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nathan, Sep 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Adding to the pile of failed tech companies is Xmarks, formally Foxmarks. This browser add-in kept track of your bookmarks and allowed them to be transfered from browser to browser and also across different PC's. I've been using this helpful tool almost since it's inception. Time to look for a new one.

From Tech Crunch

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Reminds me of a saying here

during the dot com boom..... "We loose a bit on each transaction, but we make it up with volume!"

Sad to see it go down the tubes... But such is the nature of innovation....

Also reminds me "Why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?"

Matt

3. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The thing is, when Xmarks was Foxmarks, they offered a service that wasn't built-in yet. We've seen this many times before, of course, were excellent third-party add-ons are cloned into future builds of the browser (or OS, or what have you)... good for the masses, not so good for the third-party company.

Any add-on provided free or for a pittance I always assume has an expiration date. It's true that we can now store server bookmark syncs in Firefox and Chrome. Unfortunately, the one thing i used Xmarks for regularly was to sync the bookmarks across all browsers being used (except for Atomic on the iPad/iPhone, which requires an import)...

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  5. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah but it's just the same as I mentioned: built-in browser-specific features for FF and Chrome. I use Evernote already, pretty extensively, but I wouldn't say it's ideal as a bookmark manager/sync tool by any stretch...