1st Gen R53 Cooper S Yet another Airbag light question...

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Sin MINI, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Sin MINI

Sin MINI New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup, got the light. My mechanic has the fancy euro computer that can read/reset codes as well as provide diagnostic trees. Seems I have three codes. 2 involve power and the third is the driver seat occupancy sensor. Car is out of warranty (I thought my aftermarket extended warranty would cover it but it seems I didn't buy the optional SRS rider...). Mechanic said that he entire lower seat has to be replaced as the sensor is imbedded within it. $800 for the seat and a couple of hours labor.

From everything I've read, my Aug 06 build MCS is most likely not covered by the 10 year extension (but I certainly intend to call and verify).

My wife was t-boned a year ago in a minivan with no side airbags and if the other car had been three inches higher she would have likely lost her spleen...so I'd really like to restore my side airbag functionality

I'm wondering if there is a Recaro seat option with side airbags I can install? Is that an option? If so, any clue what one seat would cost me (with shipping)?

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I don't have the answer for you but I'll 'bump' to keep your thread going for more knowledgable Miniacs.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I believe the Recaro still does not have the sensor and US dealers will not code out the airbag sensors. I put JCW Sparco's in my R53 and I too the sensor pad out of the old seat and into the new. Yes it is inside the seat bottom put it can be replaced, sensor only.

4. Sin MINI

Sin MINI New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Except my sensor is dead or appears to be, hence the seat swap.

Thanks

5. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Is it JUST the airbag light? Reason I ask is I once had an air bag light, but also the seatbelt light was on. Turned out to be a chaffed wire in the headliner....

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I know, but if you mechanically inclined you could just replace the sensor pad and not the complete seat bottom as the dealer told you.

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    So you can buy just the sensor? They replaced the seat bottom in mine once under warranty already.....

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  9. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    So how long will they continue to make every upholstery option?

This is crazy.

10. Sin MINI

Sin MINI New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My mechanic (Not a dealer) has the full up computer that provides faults and diagnostic trees...computer said it was the sensor.

11. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'm currently looking for a replacement occupancy sensor; while looking through IMBMparts parts catalog - I find that they sell the passenger seat in sections. You can get the frame, cushion, and cover in three separate pieces, but I have no idea if the sensor is included in any of those parts.

With statements that the sensor being partially glued to the cushion - I'm lead to believe it might just be included. I'm probably going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they can check it out for me. The cushion is "only" $90.33 and the cushion cover's range from the low $200.00's on up to the low $600.00's depending on cloth / leatherette / leather (color)

Fingers crossed a 90 dollar cushion might just be all of our prayers answered!

12. noise boy

noise boy New Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So any luck with this approach? My wife's 06 just started doing this gag.