Your MINI's Name - How Did You Pick It

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Justa Jim, May 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    We have a thread for Screen Names, but I don't believe I saw one for car names. If there is, then delete this one. If not, then lets hear your MINI's "name & story".

Jim

2. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My MINIs name: DamnMINI

Story: Had just spent the 5 straight day repairing something on the car, and while on the phone with my dad a few choices words started coming out about the car. Since then "DamnMINI" has stuck, and surprising the car has been much better behaved... I think it just wanted an official name, and it acted out until it got it.

3. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    My sister and her husband bought a brand new yellow VW Bug convertible, with a black top, back when they first got married. My other sister (passed away now) had just returned from Germany (husband was in the Army) and named the VW Gleb Vogeline ("Little Yellow Bird" in German, so the "V" is pronounced as an "F"). They shortened it to "Fogie" (Fo-gie, not Fog-ie, which is why I added a second "G")) and the name stuck. That VW lasted through both of their daughters growing up and taking it to college, so the name was kind of a household word and everyone knew the car. When my sister saw my MINI, the first words out of her mouth was "Fogie". Everyone else reacted the same, so my MINI had a name. Now, "Little Yellow Bird" is not exactly a "guy" kind of name, so when I saw the dragon graphics on the AC site, I figured "Dragons are birds. They fly". I then placed an order for the first yellow dragon roof graphic.

Now, oddly enough, all this happened BEFORE I had any idea what MOTD was. Never heard of it or RT-129. When I did learn about it, I thought it was cool that they had a event based around my car.

Jim

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This IS The Yellow Bird

Ruf CTR2

[​IMG]

5. Johngo

Johngo New Member
    Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Art Director
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Ratings:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Name: GTiki

Story: I am a Jimmy Buffett Parrothead and an avid beach and tiki bar fan. I was thinking about TikiCar, playing off of Tiki Bar, but figured the PoPo would enjoy pulling me over WAY too much with that one. I love GT and sportscar racing and ended up with GT and Tiki combined. Fast little party on wheels. :)

6. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Name: RDNZL

I have been a huge Frank Zappa fan since the mid 70's and RDNZL is a instrumental song that starts off slow, builds intensely with just about every instrument and then winds back down much like a twisty back road. Just like the MINI. Homage to the master......

7. farkus

farkus Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Name: the mini

It distinguishes it from the other two vehicles in the driveway named the audi and the truck.

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That is BIG BIRD, Nathan. :D

Jim

9. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    If it don't come when I call it, then it doesn't deserve a name.

:D

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Mine is Blu & is a Brit car.

My cat & my kid don't come when I call them. :p

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Neither do my wife or my horse and they both have names. :lol:

Jim

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The origin of GNAT

Way back in the early 80's I would visit some friends attending the local college fairly often. One had to sign in at the front desk of the dorm. One of said friends worked the desk and soon tired of trying to write my full name in the very small block provided on the sign in sheets. He started writing gnat fberg. One drunken eve the story of why gnat was revealed. One has to realize that at that time in my early 20's I was quite the obnoxious cur. From that, my "small" stature and that Nat is sometimes slang for Nathan we had gnat.

When the interwebs started I took on gnatster as my long term nic most places.

It just makes sense for the MINI too...it's quite small and buzzes around.

13. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That's because you don't give them treats when they come when they're called! :lol:

Gromie is short for Grommit because we love Wallance and Grommit and Wallace is such a DA that we didn't want the car to feel unloved.
    Maddie, short for Madonna, because she's blue, she's a Prima Donna, and because we rocked the stereo with American Life when we first got her.
    Huntley, because GP Huntley was a relatively well known British actor on stage and in early movies and it just sounded cool!

14. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Darth MINI. It's all black. It's generally evil. It's a MINI.

There you go. LOL. :biggrin5:

15. phinz

phinz New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Daphne. The hot redhead in Scooby Doo.

16. T8rChick

T8rChick Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Paying for new tires! The wheels were a deal!!!
    Oak Cliff, TX
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Daphne - cuz we both like Frasier and Daphne is pretty, British & a little wacky!

(We have a cat named Niles too!)

17. 1972Austin

1972Austin New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Yorktown, Va
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    My Mini got her name from the magnificent way she tried to self destruct. Whilst driving home one day in the Mini I came up to a stop light and she puttered out. I tried to restart her but nothing happened. That's when someone in a car behind me shouted that there were sparks erupting from under the car. Then smoke started leaking into the cabin. I grabbed my fire extinguisher (it's an original so it's needed) and hopped out. Luckily there was no fire. Found out the main battery lead had come out of it's clips, rested on the LCB (header) and melted the insulation causing the light show and burning up the battery. Her name is now Sparks.

Shawn

18. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    The first weekend we took the Clubbie out, the wife and daughter watched the movie Gremlins on the TV. Daughter like the Gremlin Gizmo, so she named the Clubbie.

Now how the boy child came up with Archibald for his 07 MCS I ain't got a clue

19. M1N1M0X1E

M1N1M0X1E New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    M1N1M0X1E....because my mini has a lot of moxie as defined by Merriam-Webster

1) Energy, pep

:D

20. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Poco, means small, little, in Spanish

Mark