Zaino, Zymol, other?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Little Egg, Oct 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Little Egg

Little Egg New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Looking for opinions and advice.

We have used Zaino on our cars for the last 6 years with excellent results when the cars were garaged. Now that we have 3 cars, Angie has been relegated to the street (due to her impending future job of track car).

Here is the issue: Parking on the street the car is subject to the moisture in the air which in turn causes the road grime to stick. In addition, the trees on our street (sparse as they may be) like to emit a fine mist of sap to mix in with the road grime.

Note that we keep at least 3-4 coats of Zaino on the car. Even with this, after a wash, the sap and grime leave the surface rough to the touch. We have tried to clay bar the paint and re apply new Zaino. The paint is smooth for one week until the sap and grime build up again. As soon as the car is washed, the "grit" in the paint is back.

Additionally, the stripes on the car have started to oxidize from sitting outside. Again, we keep wax on the stripes and have tried to clay bar them as well. No luck.

What I am looking for: Advice. Is parking on the street the inherent issue or is the Zaino not holding up to the punishment of being outdoors? I have heard a lot of good things about Zymol and they even offer a custom formulation of wax for your specific issues and paint. Note that cost of the product is not a major issue for me. If the product works well and holds up, then I will consider it. Will a carnuba wax based product like Zymol hold up better than a synthetic one like Zaino?

Note that I am not particularly fond of Prima so you if you recommend it, you better be very convincing. :D

I look forward to everyone's comments and help.

2. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried Hydro, a Prima product:Thumbsup:, after each wash? It will work fine over Zaino, and may help as it adds a bit more protection each time you wash.

Mark

3. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    From my experience:
    Zaino is as good as any other product when parking outside.
    Wax or polish does not protect the vinyl stripes, only makes them shiny.
    I use 303 Aerospace protectant on the vinyl 3 or 4 times a year.

I now use a Covercraft 'NOAH' cover which I highly recommend.

4. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Any product with a "Z" in it has gotta be good, it just sounds so cool!:)

I agree, get a car cover.

Dave

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Sorry guys, but a car cover is simply too much PITA. I'll have the wife look up this Hydra stuff.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    The biggest problem is the tree sap. I have the same problem where I park at work. Forced me to park around the corner as the sap was a constant pain to remove.

And I too have been using Zaino for almost 8 yrs now. Do you use the quick detailer? It doesn't let the sap get as stuck on.

edit....The Hydra is simply a spray on wax.

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Hydro, is a spray on wax, that goes on while the car is still wet from rinsing. After spraying it on, you dry as normal.

There are other spray on wax/sealants that are applied the same way, and they add a short lived(between washes) extra layer of protection.

Mark