Engine Surge When Stopping and Going

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by DougC, Feb 9, 2024.

1. DougC

DougC New Member

Feb 9, 2024
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey everyone! DougC here. I am brand new to the forum and this is my first post.
    I have a 2010 Clubman S Turbo automatic and love it!
    Question...it has been exhibiting a small engine surge when coming to a stop. All by itself, with no foot on the accelerator, coming to a stop at a stop light and just before a complete stop it will surge slightly. As well as a slight hesitation when trying to accelerate slowly, then after the hesitation a slight surge to get going. Other than that the engine runs great, plenty of power and zip.
    Does anyone know why it would be doing this? It makes me wonder if it is happening when it shifts back down into 1st gear?
    It does have a check engine light and a P2400 EVAP open circuit code, which I am currently trouble shooting. But I don't know if that is related to the behavior I am seeing. THANKS!!!

2. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance. How many miles on your Clubman ??

3. DougC

DougC New Member

Feb 9, 2024
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello 00Mini, 126,000.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @DougC Welcome to MA! Here is a link to the Mini codes.

https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/ecu-codes-chart-2nd-generation-mini.57/

P2400 - DMTL Activation Control Circuit Open

I am sure you have done the simple thing, check the gas cap. Check all your vacuum hoses. The code is for the DMTL pump. If it turns out to be the pump Detroit Tuned has one.

https://www.detroittuned.com/mini-cooper-leak-diagnosis-pump-after/

I believe 2010 is the last year of the N14 motor. If the problem gets better once the motor is hot it could be time to have the intake valves walnut blasted. But I don’t think in this case that is it. If your new to mini the N14 motor is direct injection. The PVC system is not great and over time the oil vapor builds up on the intake valves causing them to get sticky. Once this starts it’s time for a intake blasting.

let us know what you find.