Question Feedback Most liked posts in thread: Poll - Which forum format do you like (Old Style or New "Motoring Alliance")

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    As an old fart who is mostly resistant to change the new M/A is a tough learning curve for me. I'm making my way slowly learning as I go along.

Thanks to ALL who have worked on the transition to the new site. I know it was not an easy job. :Thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0

I am using the new in spot #1.. That is what I use for most of what I do.. Not really searching for anything, just keeping up with what is going on, and read whatever interests me..
    Thanks for the work on the site!!

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    You forgot to mention the azzholes who constantly weave in and out of traffic without using point outs or at least a freaking turn signal! :Banghead:

By the way, you're welcome! :Thumbsup:

4. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback, I’m continue to try and balance the updated look along with the organization. More to do there for sure. Have you tried the old style view? That will be very similar to the traditional forum view (less graphics etc).

Regarding vendors section, I’m working on bringing that back up. It will be going live along with the updated classifieds section. I was almost there, then ran into a bug that made me change directions. Hoping to have it up in next two weeks.

Again appreciate the feedback. Let me know your thoughts on the traditional style format.

5. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I am still getting used to the new format, I'm still getting used to it.
    So far so good.

6. Ernesto

Ernesto Club Coordinator

May 16, 2009
    Oracle DBA
    Skokie Ill
    Ratings:
    +674 / 0 / -0
    With an easy way to see new forum posts, I'm happy now ;-)

Still getting used to different, but it takes me a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The new site is 10,000 times better then the old site.

I just wish I could start a new thread. I know it’s listed somewhere here but I have been to lazy to look it up.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Dave is it because you are having trouble navigating to the spot you want to put the post? I agree this sight is way better then the old one. Sully and I talked about this yesterday. It is different than the other sight and I was thinking that maybe people are having trouble navigating to where they want to go but this may not be the case. As everyone knows Sully has really put in a lot of time on this new sights and has plans to make it a better place for the mini community. So if you come here and read this please post your likes and dislikes. This will really help.

Thanks Sully.

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Great thanks for the feedback. Do you mind if I ask, if there are features/functions that you are “looking” for or missing? That will help me understand potential area’s I can tweak. Also - do you see the “poll” at the top of the thread? (More asking as no-one has voted yet (so this question is really more toward everyone who reads this post)... :Alien:

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @Qik - Looks like I may have been responding to @Dave.0 post when you replied. Did you see this yet? https://www.motoringalliance.com/threads/poll-which-forum-format-do-you-like-old-style-or-new-motoring-alliance.30363/#post-401164

That is an explanation of today. Same question for you as I asked Dave.0. Where do you naturally “look” to create a thread? I.e. it should be the natural place you are looking to create a new thread. This will help me see if/how I can potentially tweak this so you don’t have to look and its super simple... which is my goal. The easy button.
    C66413AC-6245-472F-B371-BAA19D630291.jpeg

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sully. I was looking on the main page to create a new thread, but after you explained I should be in the forum I saw the button.

After you explained with pictures it made perfect sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I am sick and I am also sick of winter! Also those idiots that drive in the left lane. And now that you brought it up when did we all turn to old farts!!:mad::D @wmwny hows that for bitchiness?? No need to thank me:D

13. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Stay in the right lane & that won't happen to you my old friend. :Stig:

Oh one other thing, a middle finger point by isn't the correct method. :Cigar:

14. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I tend to stay in the "slow" lane except when passing. Then, I use my signal to get into the lane I desire and to get back to the lane I just left.

When some idiot cuts me off, I "signal" him/her by hand...crude, yes, but they seem to get the point.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Wow only 15 votes. So the Russian's haven't voted yet. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    New new site is much better than the old site. Period

17. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yeah... I saw it, but I guess it's a presentation issue. When I'm looking to browse a newspaper website casually (for MA, something like MINI press releases, etc), I like headlines, caption photos and teaser paragraphs with links so I can 'read more' if I want. When I'm digging in for a how-to article, I'm looking for the words 'how to' or 'library', not an article. I want a list by topics, more like a table of contents.... I want to see all of the possibilities presented in one page (or a small # of pages), so I can find 'em quickly. I don't need a teaser description or a photo because how do you tease "How to change the oil on an R53" and if you need to see a picture of an oil filter, you probably don't know enough to change the oil.

The old MA was much more like a phone book presentation in forums and how-tos: Names and the phone # only... lots of text info on one page so I can find it quickly.

The new MA has the same information, but it would be like a phone book that has everyone's pictures next to the name and a 1 paragraph biography... cool if you want to browse everyone in town, but not so nice if you are just trying to find Bob J. Smith's phone number quickly.

The bitch of it is that you have different types of content here... some I want to browse and be teased (MINI news, press releases, etc) and others where I want information quickly and efficiently. It makes your job tough (and maybe it's not even possible) as you would have to think about each forum, how it is best presented for the user and then format particularly. It's a UI value decision and it's a tough one.

18. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Quick update for those who prefer the "old style". If you go to the bottom left and click on either "Old Style" or "Motoring Alliance" you will see a new "theme" option called "Old Style (Color rush)"... I will rename it at some point. Check it out. Functionality should be exactly the same.. however it matches more of the colors etc of this site. Let me know if you find any issues. If none are reported, I will be turning off the "Old Style" version and this will be the default for members who prefer the older look and feel of a forum.

let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Josh

19. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    I really like the Motoring Alliance Old Style especially on my phone.

20. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    old style. this new thing is organized in a way my brain cannot compute. The only way I can find my own posts and threads is via the notification flag.

I never use a phone to access web forums, if that matters.