Question Feedback Poll - Which forum format do you like (Old Style or New "Motoring Alliance")

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Sully, Feb 10, 2018.

?

Which Style Do You Like More? Default or Motoring Alliance

1. Old Style

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Motoring Alliance

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Change is normally a good thing. While I am a complete idiot when it comes to doing anything technical, even I can appreciate the time and effort that went into changing this site for the BETTER! That said, the ONLY thing I miss from the old site is the caterwauling, moaning, and general bitchiness between the members...hahahahaha...NOT! I don't post pics of my cars because I don't know how to do that, and that's OK by me, so I don't mind when others show off their own cars. Nope...I'm here to read what is going on in the MINI world and in the world of the members in the "new posts" section. There, I can post replies when I feel I can make a comment or a joking response.

So, WELL DONE, Sully and Crew! :Thumbsup:

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I am sick and I am also sick of winter! Also those idiots that drive in the left lane. And now that you brought it up when did we all turn to old farts!!:mad::D @wmwny hows that for bitchiness?? No need to thank me:D

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    You forgot to mention the azzholes who constantly weave in and out of traffic without using point outs or at least a freaking turn signal! :Banghead:

By the way, you're welcome! :Thumbsup:

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Stay in the right lane & that won't happen to you my old friend. :Stig:

Oh one other thing, a middle finger point by isn't the correct method. :Cigar:

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    I tend to stay in the "slow" lane except when passing. Then, I use my signal to get into the lane I desire and to get back to the lane I just left.

When some idiot cuts me off, I "signal" him/her by hand...crude, yes, but they seem to get the point.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Current polling is showing 5 for “old style” and 10 for “new style”.. keep the feedback coming.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Wow only 15 votes. So the Russian's haven't voted yet. :confused:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Correct - when they way in.. it will spike! :)

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    New new site is much better than the old site. Period

10. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Thanks - how do we make it better? :Ninja:

11. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I really miss the how-to library. It was easy to find all of those articles in one place. The old site seemed much easier to navigate.

12. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good feedback - I was thinking this one was easier as the articles are essentially in two places. One in the forums (more on that later).. and second a complete list in Articles. If you click on articles you can see news and how to articles.. here is a direct link. Have you seen this?
    https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/category/maintenance-and-technical-info.5/

Let me know... I was working with a different user today on an issue. After a few hours we both realized it wasn’t a technical issue it was an UI.. so if you think library is harder.. let’s figure that out. For me, it’s easier.. but that doesn’t mean anything. What important is y’all (southern term) find it easier. :).

13. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Yeah... I saw it, but I guess it's a presentation issue. When I'm looking to browse a newspaper website casually (for MA, something like MINI press releases, etc), I like headlines, caption photos and teaser paragraphs with links so I can 'read more' if I want. When I'm digging in for a how-to article, I'm looking for the words 'how to' or 'library', not an article. I want a list by topics, more like a table of contents.... I want to see all of the possibilities presented in one page (or a small # of pages), so I can find 'em quickly. I don't need a teaser description or a photo because how do you tease "How to change the oil on an R53" and if you need to see a picture of an oil filter, you probably don't know enough to change the oil.

The old MA was much more like a phone book presentation in forums and how-tos: Names and the phone # only... lots of text info on one page so I can find it quickly.

The new MA has the same information, but it would be like a phone book that has everyone's pictures next to the name and a 1 paragraph biography... cool if you want to browse everyone in town, but not so nice if you are just trying to find Bob J. Smith's phone number quickly.

The bitch of it is that you have different types of content here... some I want to browse and be teased (MINI news, press releases, etc) and others where I want information quickly and efficiently. It makes your job tough (and maybe it's not even possible) as you would have to think about each forum, how it is best presented for the user and then format particularly. It's a UI value decision and it's a tough one.

14. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    @agranger
    Good feedback - we can play with that.. And I can adjust each pages layout to a certain extent without going custom. The table of contents is a little more challenging... I’ll have to think about that. If you like and have time, we can get online at the same time and try different settings to see what you have in mind.. then once the changes are made we can ask the group their thoughts.. You open to that?

15. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I strongly dislike the colored tag labels. When I look at a list of threads, I want to scan through the thread titles, and bright colored blobs are a big distraction. I would prefer that all tags be the same minimal gray like some of them already are:

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 2.18.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 2.16.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 2.17.23 PM.png

16. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agree and understood.. working on a few things there. Was thinking about color by numbers.. ie generation numbers and have them more muted. Good feedback.. thanks!

17. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - working on that. I have almost all of the library moved over now. There are a few articles I'm still having some challenges with and I need to move over the HPDE ones (but the pictures are missing... so working on that). Do you typically hit the site from a mobile device or your PC. If you hit it from your PC, it's a little easier to navigate. On the right hand side there is a "Categories" block that will take you to whatever section your looking for. For example, if the landing page for technical articles is: https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/category/maintenance-and-technical-info.5/

If you want a "generation" specific section you can click on 1st Generation MINI (40 articles there) and it will take you to this page: https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/category/1st-generation-mini.6/

Now that the articles are moved over, I will be working on making navigation better. Ultimately, I want it to be so simple I don't need to explain it... and for it to work on both PC/Mobile seamlessly. Keep the feedback coming... and THANKS for the great articles you have produced.

18. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a smartphone, so all my site access is through my laptop.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Still looking into this. Essentially those "tags" are called Prefix. They show up inline with the title by default. I'm looking to either move their location or just use Tags. I found a site that primarily uses tags.. and it's really nice. That said, the site has a few moderators/members that help as its really important to keep them standard. With prefix I can manage that a little easier and prefix provide some native filtering. It appears he customized his site to use the tags for filtering... but he did it really well.. still researching.

20. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Poll is now:
    7 - for the "old style"
    11 - for the "new style"
    I'm also researching to see if there is a good way to blend the styles somewhat.. I found a site I really like the layout of. Still researching how/what they did. Has a good modern feel, is clean you can find information really quickly. Will keep ya'll updated.