Random error code 931D on a 2011 R60 SALL4

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Dorkfish, May 15, 2018.

1. Dorkfish

Dorkfish New Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

I've been trying to find any information on this, but nothing I have found matches my symptoms. It is always this one error code reoccurring, shutting the car off and back on will make it go away.

Usually I can make the car produce the code if I accelerate in 6th gear.

2011 R60 s all4 manual

Thanks for your help,
    Fish
    931d.jpg

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Could you give us more of a description o what it is doing? I would look that code up in the Bentley manual but I am on the road till Friday, maybe one of our other members can take a look. Here is a link to the OBDII codes if you don’t already have them.

https://www.motoringalliance.com/articles/ecu-codes-chart-2nd-generation-mini.57/

In the mean time if you don’t have a code reader you could run it to a parts store and have them see what other codes it may have.

3. Dorkfish

Dorkfish New Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    To be more specific, randomly while driving I will get the "engine malfunction" warning, aka the half full engine warning: warning.JPG

Typically it seems to show up while accelerating over 50-60 mph in 6th gear. After stopping, I pull up the super-secret diagnostic menu and the only code that is reading is this one 931d. I searched for a while and I found it on several BMW web sites as a voltage over / under charge.

Also using the diagnostic menu I was able to monitor the voltage, and it typically sits between 13.8 - 14.1 volts while driving.

I did take it to autozone to see if they could read the code, and their code reader did not list any actual OBDII codes.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Ok here I go, no one laugh........how old is the battery? BMW/MINI can get flaky when the power is bad. Make sure and have a load test done to check the battery, not just a volt meter. make sure all connections are tight and clean.

5. Dorkfish

Dorkfish New Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The battery is brand new. In fact I payed a mechanic to look at it because the previous battery failed 2 weeks ago. I was getting a random warning previous to this, but I hadn't learned about the diagnosis mode until recently, so I'm not sure what code I was getting before. My concern is the battery failure and the warning are related. Also, about a month after I purchased the car I had to buy a new battery for it.

Since there is no warrenty on this car taking it to the dealer is an expensive proposition.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    There may be a good independent shop in your town that knows Minis. Did you have the battery registered when you installed it?

7. Dorkfish

Dorkfish New Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the shop I took it to specializes in BMWs / Minis, but he was not a nice person so I likely wont be going back. lol

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I just got home. I will see if I can find anything in the Bentley manual, after I get some sleep.I have been up all night.

9. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Ok - this one is interesting. I have a Bentley I can look through in the morning.. does seem like a battery or alternator issue based on the description and the rapid use of batteries.. will look at again in the AM.

10. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Thanks @Sully. On the road too much right now. When I am home I don’t have much time. I wish @Metalman would show up he is good with gen2’s